Writer, theater critic, cultural editor, columnist, Zeynep Oral has taken part in the cultural agenda of Turkey for many years with her books, articles and conferences in different corners of the country. She has built bridges between social consciousness and cultural affairs.
in istanbul in 1946.
Graduated from American Girls College in İzmir (1964.)
Graduated from Ecole Superieure de Journalism in Paris (1966)
L'Institut des Etudes Theatrales at the Sorbonne University in Paris
- 2001 1968-2001 worked in "Milliyet" newspaper as columnist
, theatre critic and "grande reporteur"...
the Milliyet "Cultural Review" (bi-monthly 7O page magazine
on arts and culture) in 1972 , of which she was the editor in chief
Since 2001 She is working for "CUMHURİYET " daily.
She is the President of PEN- Turkey. and Honarary Vice President of AICT ( Association Internationale des Critiques Theatrales)
Author of 18 books, among which are short stories, collection of
essays, biographies, travelogues, research on women issues, human
rights issues and cultural issues...
Her book on Leyla Gencer has been translated and publihed in English "Story of a Passion" (IKSV)İn Italian "Leyla Gencer:Il Canto e La Passione"(Editore Mursia) and in French "Leyla Gencer" (Bleu Nuit Editeur)
Author of one play : "Adsız Oyun" (A Play Without a Title)
which was produced by the Municipal Theatre of İstanbul (1974 ).
Worked for Robert Wilson for the "İstanbul Project 2000".
Guest Lecturer on theatre , culture and women rights both in Turkey
Zeynep Oral is married to Ahmet Oral (architect) and is the mother of Emre and Kerem and the grandmother of Lara, Yuna , Aslan, Maya, Tara, Noah and Emma.
Among her awards are :
- 2012 - Dil Derneği (Turkish Language Association) "Language Award" (İstanbul)
- 2011- International Press İnstitude: "IPI Press Freedom Dialogue Award" ( Vienna)
- 2004- "Chevalier de l'ORdere des Arts et des Lettres" ( French Goverment)
- 2000- "Mothers for Peace"by UNESCO (Athens)
- 2000 -Mothers for Peace by UNESCO - Greece
- Best Travel Book Award " by the Tourism and Travel
Writers Association Turkey for her book "My Far East"
- 75. Anniversary of Turkish Republic Award - Turkish Women
- "Contribution to women's rights" Award-(1995)
; Best Women writer (1994) for her work and book "To be a Woman".
- Communication Gurus in Art and Literature Award by the Istanbul
- Officier des Palmes Academiques " by the French government
- Best Serial in journalism" Awards (1984, 1985, 1986)
Some of her NGO activities are:
- Ex-President of the Turkish Theatre Critics Association.
- Honarary Vice President of AICT (International Association
of Theatre Critics )
- Member of PEN Club
- Member of Turkish Writers Union.
One of the founders and active ex.com member of organizations
- "Turkish-Greek Peace Association"
- "Nazım Hikmet Foundation."
- "WİNPEACE" (Women Initiative for Peace)
- "Ana-Kültür" (Mother-Culture)
- Advisor to the International İstanbul Theatre Festival.
Zeynep Orals book
Leyla Gencer: A Story of Passion
Has been published by the İstanbul Foundation
For Culture and Arts
First English edition: ISBN 978-975-7363-73-6
(Excerpt from a biography.)
AT THE EDGE OF THE CLIFF
Guard Hasan, let's go to the edge of the cliff, the
edge of the cliff!"
A little girl with jet-black hair, pitch-black eyes
-- she is maybe four years old, maybe not -- climbed
up to Guard Hasan's arms, pointing out the edge of this
plain, the very edge of the cliff.
This is a game they both like and play often: Guard
Hasan throws the little girl up high and catches her.
The little girl flies in the sky for a while; then,
while she is falling down, she finds herself in the
trusted arms of Hasan. She wants to play this game,
not at any place on the plain, but always at the very
edge of the cliff.
always existed in the most passionate loves and dreadful
hates, in boundless freedom and helpless captivity,
in shining bravery and miserable cowardice, in hope
and helplessness, in acceptance of fate and challenge
of fate, in wisdom and innocence, in intellect and emotions,
in kindness and wickedness.
All the emotions of the earth could be phrased with
their existence, their adventures.